Doors

I've been in a bit of a funk lately.  Last week, my window to the world shrunk to frame merely what was immediately in front of me.   I could only see that I needed to make dinner, transport kids to and from school, do laundry, and all the other tasks that being part of a family that needs and loves you requires.  
And then that shrunken window got covered with dirt.  
I'd stopped doing the things that bring me joy and help me be a better wife and mom, and I wasn't finding it in the many places it could be seen around me.
But luckily for us, every day is a new day, and this morning I discovered a renewed spirit that helped me clear my eyes and find the peace and optimism that keeps me looking to the beauty in life.
Roses are everywhere here
Instead of complaining about the walk to my car, parked on a street away from our home (but not too far away), I saw it as time to enjoy some of the special things about where we live.
Many of the homes in our area are brown.  Entire neighborhoods are shades of brown with occasional pops of color in the doors and gardens.  This morning I took extra notice of them as we walked by and let my thoughts linger beyond my morning routine.

I thought of my high school in Tennessee, the home of the Portland Panthers.

(I love the matching purple Croc clogs)

The robin's egg blue door leading in to a residence, hidden by giant hedges, vines, and old painted brick, reminded me of one of my favorite movies and books, The Secret Garden.

The tall stacks of firewood outside the green door reminded me of when our family met my parents in the mountains for a fun, snowy weekend.

Sidenote-- I tried to hurry so as not to look like too much of a stalker when I was snapping these pics.  All the same, one woman came out of her house to leave for work and I said "I'm not creepy, I just like the color of your door."  Looking a little stunned, she said "Ok... thanks.  I like your daughter's coat."

Anyway...
The yellow door was my favorite.  So bright and fun and full of possibilities!
Maybe sometimes when God closes a door it's so you can get a good look at what's right in front of you.  
But take it from me-- if you take a photo of it, be sure and do it quickly so no one calls the cops

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing, so very true. I love the pictures! Hope you have a great rest of the day, love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, old friend! Hope to talk to you soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment