Hitting the road-- and hopefully nothing else

To all of my "supportive" friends who said "It's not that bad -- you'll get the hang of it in no time" --
I love you, but you're lying liars that lie*.

I sat behind a wheel on the right side of a car and drove on the left side of the road...

and hated every. single. minute.

Let me back up--
Saturday night I reserved an automatic transmission electric Nissan Leaf through Co-Wheels, a car sharing club.


I picked up the car at 7:00 am Sunday morning in a parking garage close by.  I wanted to take the car out when there would be as few drivers on the road as possible.
Right off the bat, I opened up the door on the wrong side of the car.
"Oh yeah, the steering wheel is over there-- the whole reason I'm taking this out for a spin."


Once I got in on the correct side, I fired it up and started for the exit.  Actually, "firing up" an electric car is quieter and less thrilling than heating up a bowl of soup in the microwave.
It was more like switching on a night light.

To exit the parking garage I had to go down a winding walled ramp of concrete .  I immediately thought "Come on, Cayce, you can't have an accident before you even hit the road!"

I inched my way down and turned out into the empty street, only needing a slight course correction to get to the left side after I mistakenly started on the right.

Now, I'm no professional, but I have a little driving experience.
One particular instance that comes to mind was when JD and I drove for 16 hours, including through the mountains, with a long-bed half-ton truck hauling an open trailer full of furniture and possessions.

But "unsettling" is the word that best describes how it felt for me to drive on the left side of the road.

There were many times I turned on to a street to find parked cars lining the left hand side -- MY side-- and space for only one car to travel the road.  I prayed no one would head toward me.

Again, SO thankful it was 7 am on a Sunday and very few people were out driving.

I tried to be relaxed and confident but I found myself saying words highly inappropriate for The Lord's Day while white-knuckling the steering wheel.
I repeated the mantra "Stay left, Stay left!" out loud as if it would help me better remember.

I did this all over town for the next hour and fifteen minutes.


(Not me, but a fair representation of my morning.)


You know, I'd actually started feeling pretty comfortable by the time I was returning the car.

Y'all were right -- I don't think I'm going to need as much practice as I thought before chaufeuring the kids to school in September.
I think I'm going to enjoy driving in the UK, and I'd go out and buy a car tomorrow.

Only problem is: I'M TOTALLY LYING.

See, I can do it too.



*(Seriously though, thanks to everyone who offered encouragement and optimism before I went out.  I know you aren't liars, just better left-side drivers than I am!)




Comments

  1. My heart is with you. I was telling Jesse and
    Lydia about your upcoming venture to learn to drive just yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I definitely could use some real driving lessons.

      Delete
  2. Oh my!!! I rode with Matthew on a scooter once in the Bahamas and every turn it is about impossible to go back to the left lane!!!! I would have to keep reminding him, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! Now imagine that instead of a scooter, you are on the other side of a car! it was so so hard!

      Delete

Post a Comment